Skip to main content

That Day I Ran the Circus :: Wayfinder Photographer Collective

Usually when I use word "circus" it's hyperbole for chaos. But not this time.
For one day I ran a traveling circus that took months to design.

Amanda Solt spins a fire hoop at a traveling circus styled shoot in South Jordan, UT
It's the third and latest styled shoot I directed at Wayfinder Photographer Collective, my community-over-competition styled shoots and optional mini workshops for photographers. Shoots like these are ideal for photographers who want a high production shoot but don't have time--or money--to plan it themselves. In my situation I have more time than money, so Wayfinder is my way of crowd-funding ideas that might be too expensive to produce alone.

(Want to come? Start here.)

Wardrobe
Wardrobe came together as a hodge podge of garments already owned by each model, plus several elements designed and sewed by myself. I'm not a "designer", but I can sew at a professional level. I searched some costume ideas online and modified my favorite elements into something new. Most of the fabric used was thrifted or upcycled using previously made costumes. And honestly that was part of the fun.

Ring Leader
Making the ring leader's bolero jacket was...interesting. I made a pattern from a bolero jacket I already had but immediately ran into an issue; the fabric of my bolero was stretchy, and the thrifted striped curtain I was using for the new jacket was...not. I improvised and added narrow strips under the arms and down the center back. While frustrating in the moment, I rather liked that extra element of interest when paired with the hat I used for my Michael Jackson costume last Halloween. And no, I can't keep a straight face when saying that out loud.







Illusionist
I made all elements of this costume except the corset. While I have the skills to make a corset they are a huge time suck. I sourced the corset from my stash and dusted off a white bustle I made and used at the French-inspired boudoir styled shoot in January. The checker skirt was fabric I used in an Alice in Wonderland shoot last summer and I made the fingerless gloves using a pattern I made a few years back. My wrists get cold so I keep several pairs of random fingerless glove styles floating around my house.




Animal Tamer
The animal tamer's black bustle skirt has lived through many iterations. In 2015 it was a wrap dress, which evolved into a giant dance skirt in 2018 and will now spend the rest of its life as this black bustle skirt...or a pillow case. Her hat was actually identical to the ring leader's and also used in a Michael Jackson costume. But Wendy, you say, why does one person need two Michael Jackson hats for one Michael Jackson costume? I may be one person but I went to a Michael Jackson impersonator show with a whole group. But I only brought home two hats...because 5 was too many. And let's be honest; I was right.







Fire Eater
I'm ambitious, but I know when I'm in over my head. I left this character's costuming and props all up to Amanda and she did not disappoint. She even did her own makeup. And believe it or not, her hair really is that color most of the time.











Aerialists
You know what's better than one aerialist? Two aerialists. Aerialists are superheroes. They hang, they climb, the spin, they dance, and I can't even cross the monkey bars. Aerialists are superheroes. Years ago I made a corset belt out of a thrifted pillow case, and Scarlett and I decided that pairing it with a leotard would be the most efficient costume for her performance. When she mentioned she'd want to tag-team with somebody I loved the idea but panicked a little. One corset doesn't fit two people. Somehow I still had the pillowcase and enough fabric to make a second, almost identical corset belt. For that reason alone I feel like their costumes were just meant to be.














Acrobat
Remember how I can't climb across the monkey bars? Crystal can hold onto a single, vertical bar, and spin around creating beautiful, graceful shapes with a smile on her face. I struggled for weeks designing a costume that could adapt to her performance until one day she found a red velvet leotard stored away in her closet. I was so happy I almost cried.







Hoop Dancer
Annakay's costume went through several iterations. I'd settled on a leotard with a tulle bustle skirt until I stopped by the thrift shop for something completely unrelated and found this flouncy ruffle skirt on my way out the door. It was rugged, the right size, and it was already made. (I'm excited to use that one again.) But it didn't match what I'd already planned. We needed a statement piece. That's when I remembered the synthetic leaf collection my sister gave me back when she worked at a company called 3Form. They use them to create patterns and textures in textiles/glass/plastic/whatever, and when they're done with the design they just get rid of the extra stuff. They're beautiful but quite delicate. Whenever a stem would snap as I sewed the ruff together I'd have to undo the seam to stuff a new leaf in its place. The ruff survived the shoot but not the trip home. RIP, little ruff. At least we've got pictures to remember you by...







Tribal Dancer
This character was all Micki's. For reals. She was actually in a circus at one point in her life and was intimately familiar not only with the skills to balance a tea set on her head but also the complex makeup and costuming. Her very presence brought the magic, all I had to do was click the shutter.







CREDITS
Instagram hashtags shown unless otherwise noted




Creative Director: Wendy Hurst @wendyhurstportrait
Production: Wayfinder Photographer Collective @hello_wayfinder

Ring Leader: Sofia Sparacino @sofiaallday
HMUA: Sofia Sparacino
Bolero Jacket: @wendyhurstportrait

Flag Banner: @wendyhurstportrait

Animal Tamer: Jax Hernandez @the_goddess_jaxs
HMUA: Elyssa Anderson @elyssa.anderson.hair
Bustle Skirt & Choker: @wendyhurstportrait
Snake(s): Carrie Howes @howescarrie


Fire Eater: Amanda Solt @amanda.solt.modeling
HMUA: Amanda Solt


Aerialist: Scarlett Drake @scarlett.drake.model
HMUA: Jocelyn Worthington @beauty_killer_sfx
Corset Belt: @wendyhurstportrait


Aerialist: Terryn Worthington @cliffterryn
HMUA: Elyssa Anderson @elyssa.anderson.hair
Corset Belt: @wendyhurstportrait


Illusionist: Chelsea Jurkiewicz @chelseajurkiewiczactress
HMUA: Jocelyn Worthington @beauty_killer_sfx
Skirt & Gloves: @wendyhurstportrait
Rabbit(s): Carrie Howes @howescarrie


Acrobat: Crystal Basile @acrocrystal
HMUA: Natisha Bethers @guardianofmemoriesstudios


Hoop Dancer: Annakay Staley @annakay_staley
HMUA: Natisha Bethers @guardianofmemoriesstudios
Collar: @wendyhurstportrait


Tribal Dancer: Micki Rios @micki.rr.om
HMUA: Micki Rios

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Child Liberation Foundation Launch Party 2017

Some portrait highlights of the generous donors and contributors to the newly launched  Child Liberation Foundation , hosted at Sky SLC  over the weekend. Though attendees were supporting a serious issue, a healthy sense of humor was still present. Come join the conversation on Instagram or Facebook ! Paul Hutchinson (right) is the co-founder of the Child Liberation Foundation

The Lonely Flower, with Kollene Snow | Salt Lake Conceptual Portrait Photographer

Have you ever been stuck trying think of an idea, and then all of a sudden a tiny, fragile glimpse of something appears? In those moments I just want to grab it and hold on so it can't get away, but if you don't let it breathe, that poor little idea gets squished. I wanted this photo shoot with Kollene Snow to illustrate that idea. Like a lonely flower that blooms, sometimes unexpected ideas lead the way to the next one. Model: Kollene Snow Makeup: Kollene Snow Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait

I am no bird | salt lake city utah conceptual portrait photographer

Model: Jesyka Dereta Makeup & Styling: Jesyka Dereta Wardrobe, Prop & Calligraphy: Wendy Hurst Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait Sometimes when I don't know something, like what to call an image or series, I identify what it's not. Doing so lends inspiration and  actually yields titles that resonate with me most often.  For this reason a quote from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte recently stuck in my mind. "I am no bird; no net ensnares me." I also remembered a behind the scenes YouTube video by fashion photographer Joan Allen that I found by accident years ago of a shoot using calligraphy on the skin to add a dimension of edgy elegance. Combine that with a kick I've been on about oversized objects and I knew what I wanted to do.  Months ago I draped my dress form, Maggie, with yards of purple cloth I picked up secondhand for a different photo shoot. The shoot turned out okay but didn't fully captured the potential I saw in that &quo