Skip to main content

#nonsenseinspires week 1: empathy (wandering brides)

Wandering Brides: The Walk | Model: Amanda Solt (arms in bushes belong to Hali)
Hall of curtains, path of light.
Lacey waist and ribbons tight. 
Wand'ring forest, cottage rose. 
Leafy rooftops, chilly toes. 
Destination moving fast. 
Fantasy, this cannot last. 
Climbing, searching, feeling lost. 
Seeking self is worth the cost. 
Hall of curtains, path of light. 
Wand'ring brides bid thee good night.

Models:
Amanda Solt
Hali Vanderburg Araneo
Kellie Quan

Poem & Photo: Wendy Hurst Portrait



Storytelling imagery is my obsession, and the ability to find inspiration from nonsense in the real world is a key to invention I want to share with anyone who seeks to create. For the next few weeks I’ll be blogging about ways to use nonsense to tell visual stories and increase empathy by challenging the words, “That can’t happen."

#nonsenseinspires is all about seeing the world through the lens of the impossible. It's about tickling your imagination to see if it laughs and letting it's giggles take you to new places. It's about noticing the unnoticeable, thinking the unthought, creating something from nothing. While I'll focus on creating storytelling imagery specifically, I hope these ideas can inspire any kind of storyteller.

Not a storyteller? 
What did you have for breakfast this morning? Any answer you give, in any length and detail, with or without words, is telling a story. That means the hard part is already done. 

Why storytelling?
Empathy, your friendly neighborhood E-word. The more you can relate to a person or situation, the more you can understand about their feelings and mindset, and empathy grows. Compassion takes hold. You care more. I believe that developing one's storytelling skills can increase compassion in the world, and compassion starts with being able to tell a story. Maybe even your own.

How to Spot Nonsense
Listen for the words, "That can't happen," in your mind, and follow where it leads! A talking tree. A cat that whistles. Bushes with arms. Noticing where your imagination wanders can lead you down new paths to inspiration.

Share!
Show me your nonsense! Use the hashtag #nonsenseinspires to share a photograph, a poem, a sketch, a story, a painting, anything artistic that you create as a result of finding nonsense in the wild. It can be something you already created, or create something new with me! 

Maybe even pull that sidewalk chalk out of the closet and share the hashtag responsibly in your community! We all can use a healthy dose of nonsense now and then. :)

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Wandering Brides: Studying in the Woods | Model: Hali Vanderburg Araneo
Wandering Brides: Studying in the Woods | Model: Hali Vanderburg Araneo

Wandering Brides: Hall of Curtains | Model: Kellie Quan 
Wandering Brides: Hall of Hands | Model: Kellie Quan
Wandering Brides: The Portal | Models (left to right): Kellie Quan, Amanda Solt, Hali Vanderburg Araneo
Model: Amanda Solt

Model: Hali Vanderburg Araneo

Model: Kellie Quan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Child Liberation Foundation Launch Party 2017

Some portrait highlights of the generous donors and contributors to the newly launched  Child Liberation Foundation , hosted at Sky SLC  over the weekend. Though attendees were supporting a serious issue, a healthy sense of humor was still present. Come join the conversation on Instagram or Facebook ! Paul Hutchinson (right) is the co-founder of the Child Liberation Foundation

The Lonely Flower, with Kollene Snow | Salt Lake Conceptual Portrait Photographer

Have you ever been stuck trying think of an idea, and then all of a sudden a tiny, fragile glimpse of something appears? In those moments I just want to grab it and hold on so it can't get away, but if you don't let it breathe, that poor little idea gets squished. I wanted this photo shoot with Kollene Snow to illustrate that idea. Like a lonely flower that blooms, sometimes unexpected ideas lead the way to the next one. Model: Kollene Snow Makeup: Kollene Snow Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait

I am no bird | salt lake city utah conceptual portrait photographer

Model: Jesyka Dereta Makeup & Styling: Jesyka Dereta Wardrobe, Prop & Calligraphy: Wendy Hurst Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait Sometimes when I don't know something, like what to call an image or series, I identify what it's not. Doing so lends inspiration and  actually yields titles that resonate with me most often.  For this reason a quote from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte recently stuck in my mind. "I am no bird; no net ensnares me." I also remembered a behind the scenes YouTube video by fashion photographer Joan Allen that I found by accident years ago of a shoot using calligraphy on the skin to add a dimension of edgy elegance. Combine that with a kick I've been on about oversized objects and I knew what I wanted to do.  Months ago I draped my dress form, Maggie, with yards of purple cloth I picked up secondhand for a different photo shoot. The shoot turned out okay but didn't fully captured the potential I saw in that &quo