Skip to main content

[Week 5/52] Arrival | salt lake city utah storytelling conceptual portrait photographer


"Arrival"
Self Portrait
Photo: Wendy Hurst Portrait

Too often I let consistency control my artistic vision and suppress whatever images come to mind that don’t meet that expectation. So today I suspended those expectations and built a scene in my kitchen to composite into an image I took on a foggy day. Creative experiences like letting go of expectations remind me of why I even fell in love with storytelling photography. Perhaps it can liberate you too!

Behind the Scenes
Sometimes I fake fog, but this time what you see is the real deal. I've been looking for a great image to pair with this photo I took near my house last month and a recent cloak order (I make custom cloaks...it pays for my hobbies) meant I had access to the lusciousness that is red crushed panne velvet! I pulled out a basket, set up a scenario in my kitchen and put the images together. I love how yummy the scene is and I can't wait to play with this idea more...


What will your mind see today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Child Liberation Foundation Launch Party 2017

Some portrait highlights of the generous donors and contributors to the newly launched  Child Liberation Foundation , hosted at Sky SLC  over the weekend. Though attendees were supporting a serious issue, a healthy sense of humor was still present. Come join the conversation on Instagram or Facebook ! Paul Hutchinson (right) is the co-founder of the Child Liberation Foundation

The Lonely Flower, with Kollene Snow | Salt Lake Conceptual Portrait Photographer

Have you ever been stuck trying think of an idea, and then all of a sudden a tiny, fragile glimpse of something appears? In those moments I just want to grab it and hold on so it can't get away, but if you don't let it breathe, that poor little idea gets squished. I wanted this photo shoot with Kollene Snow to illustrate that idea. Like a lonely flower that blooms, sometimes unexpected ideas lead the way to the next one. Model: Kollene Snow Makeup: Kollene Snow Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait

I am no bird | salt lake city utah conceptual portrait photographer

Model: Jesyka Dereta Makeup & Styling: Jesyka Dereta Wardrobe, Prop & Calligraphy: Wendy Hurst Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait Sometimes when I don't know something, like what to call an image or series, I identify what it's not. Doing so lends inspiration and  actually yields titles that resonate with me most often.  For this reason a quote from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte recently stuck in my mind. "I am no bird; no net ensnares me." I also remembered a behind the scenes YouTube video by fashion photographer Joan Allen that I found by accident years ago of a shoot using calligraphy on the skin to add a dimension of edgy elegance. Combine that with a kick I've been on about oversized objects and I knew what I wanted to do.  Months ago I draped my dress form, Maggie, with yards of purple cloth I picked up secondhand for a different photo shoot. The shoot turned out okay but didn't fully captured the potential I saw in that &quo