Skip to main content

[Week 4/52] The Spill | salt lake city utah storytelling conceptual portrait photographer

"The Spill"
Self Portrait

Have you ever felt like you're forgetting something but it just won't come back to you? Or had the sudden sensation you were falling as you're trying to sleep? Our brains can be mean sometimes; why not go with it once in awhile? Indulge your strange thinking. Forget what others will say. Let your creativity spill out, even if you think it's crazy. Who knows what you could learn about yourself!

Behind the Scenes
For some this may go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: this is a composite. In total, this final image is made up of six different images. 

The first image I staged was the one in the painting. Easy. Next I tilted my bridal portrait against the wall, also easy. I could have worn my wedding dress and kept the actual image in the frame, but I couldn't do this for two reasons: one, my pre-pregnancy pants still don't fit yet so I figured my wedding gown wouldn't either; and two, I don't own the copyright to my wedding photos. It's a travesty but I couldn't afford to buy them at the time. Yes, I take copyright seriously. 

I chose a thrift shop special for my dress--$6 whole dollars!--and placed that first image into the frame in Photoshop. 

Lastly I took two pictures, one of my top half "falling" and one of my lower half doing a false handstand in the air. 

And if you look closely, you can see my camera remote control in my hand inside the painting. I could have edited it out...but why? It's a self portrait after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Child Liberation Foundation Launch Party 2017

Some portrait highlights of the generous donors and contributors to the newly launched  Child Liberation Foundation , hosted at Sky SLC  over the weekend. Though attendees were supporting a serious issue, a healthy sense of humor was still present. Come join the conversation on Instagram or Facebook ! Paul Hutchinson (right) is the co-founder of the Child Liberation Foundation

The Lonely Flower, with Kollene Snow | Salt Lake Conceptual Portrait Photographer

Have you ever been stuck trying think of an idea, and then all of a sudden a tiny, fragile glimpse of something appears? In those moments I just want to grab it and hold on so it can't get away, but if you don't let it breathe, that poor little idea gets squished. I wanted this photo shoot with Kollene Snow to illustrate that idea. Like a lonely flower that blooms, sometimes unexpected ideas lead the way to the next one. Model: Kollene Snow Makeup: Kollene Snow Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait

I am no bird | salt lake city utah conceptual portrait photographer

Model: Jesyka Dereta Makeup & Styling: Jesyka Dereta Wardrobe, Prop & Calligraphy: Wendy Hurst Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait Sometimes when I don't know something, like what to call an image or series, I identify what it's not. Doing so lends inspiration and  actually yields titles that resonate with me most often.  For this reason a quote from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte recently stuck in my mind. "I am no bird; no net ensnares me." I also remembered a behind the scenes YouTube video by fashion photographer Joan Allen that I found by accident years ago of a shoot using calligraphy on the skin to add a dimension of edgy elegance. Combine that with a kick I've been on about oversized objects and I knew what I wanted to do.  Months ago I draped my dress form, Maggie, with yards of purple cloth I picked up secondhand for a different photo shoot. The shoot turned out okay but didn't fully captured the potential I saw in that &quo