Skip to main content

3 Ways to Say What You Mean in the Modeling Industry

Being honest with yourself about who you are will make your step to the next level easier to take. Here are three common types of social media posts and public messages by models, photographers, etc. to each other and how they can better say what they mean to say.

Common Post #1: Admitting Inexperience
"I'm fairly new to the photography industry and am looking to get more experience.  I'm giving away free (FREE!!!) photo shoots from now until the end of (insert month here), so hurry and book now!"

Own It
Nobody wants to admit they're a newbie. Using phrases like "fairly new" or "somewhat new" avoids but does not hide the obvious meaning: inexperienced. Own it. If this applies to you, say it out loud. "I'm inexperienced." You just told the truth. Feels good, right? Now how do you get more? 

If you posted something about shooting for free, you already figured it out. In the "industry", free photo shoots are the way to get experience. Getting used to this idea is important because they are more common than paid shoots. Way more common. And they have many names: trade shoots, trade for images, TFP (trade for prints), TFCD (trade for CD), TF (because exclusively prints or exclusively CDs outdated quickly), etc.

If you're just starting out, implying urgency to book now before they'll have to pay likely won't work for you. Most people want to pay photographers whose work can produce consistent results, and that takes time to prove. When you have a portfolio that can demonstrate that, set yourself up to succeed by promoting your services without mentioning anything to do with the word "free" or "trade". When you mention those, that's all people will think about and negotiating a price will be more difficult.

Suggested Improvement
Take it down a notch and be up front. "I'm a photographer looking for more experience. Does anyone want to collaborate about (pick a topic) next week?"

Common Post #2: A Vague Invitation
"I'm a model returning after a two-year hiatus after having my baby and feeling uncomfortable about myself, but now I'm ready to get back in there and fulfill my dreams! I'm pretty open to anything and my schedule is fairly open. Let's shoot! Feel free to PM me."

Own It
There's that word "fairly" again. Own it. Are you or are you not available? You're pumped. You're excited! You rediscovered your passion for modeling (or photography, or makeup, or whatever) and you want to get back out there. Welcome back! Also...you gave me a little too much information. Enthusiasm is important, but posting like this tends to serve as more of a "Hello I'm here!" instead of what you really want: "I want to do a shoot!"

Suggested Improvement
Come with an idea. If a model, makeup artist, hairstylist, photographer, etc. came to a shoot just because they "just want to shoot", everyone would be going around the room saying, "Well I dunno, what do you wanna do?" Someone has to have an idea. Or better yet, a group of someones could come with ideas to support a main idea. Even if your idea isn't the main one, come prepared to contribute. You could give potential collaborators a healthy start in a post like this: "I'm a model coming back from a two-year break! Anyone want to shoot in the snow next Friday afternoon?"

Common Post #3: A Work in Progress
"Come like my Facebook page! I don't have many pictures up yet and it's still a work in progress but I'd love if you'd come take a look!"

Own It
We're all a work in progress, but making that the focal point of a fan page or other site content can make it seem less appealing.

Have you ever driven past a construction site before a building is finished? There's equipment everywhere, workers in hard hats, machines beeping, dirt is usually involved... You might drive by once in awhile on your way to somewhere else but it's not a spot you'd plan for an outing. (Or maybe you do; I won't judge.) That's what this type of post is like. 

To leave the best impression, you want potential collaborators and clients to see only your best self. If you don't feel like your page is up to your standards, own it! Take the necessary steps to make it ready and then promote it.

Suggested Improvement
Leave out the construction and tease about content. "Come like my Facebook page to see my latest photo shoot with (insert name here) during last week's snow storm!"

-------------
Good luck out there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Child Liberation Foundation Launch Party 2017

Some portrait highlights of the generous donors and contributors to the newly launched  Child Liberation Foundation , hosted at Sky SLC  over the weekend. Though attendees were supporting a serious issue, a healthy sense of humor was still present. Come join the conversation on Instagram or Facebook ! Paul Hutchinson (right) is the co-founder of the Child Liberation Foundation

The Lonely Flower, with Kollene Snow | Salt Lake Conceptual Portrait Photographer

Have you ever been stuck trying think of an idea, and then all of a sudden a tiny, fragile glimpse of something appears? In those moments I just want to grab it and hold on so it can't get away, but if you don't let it breathe, that poor little idea gets squished. I wanted this photo shoot with Kollene Snow to illustrate that idea. Like a lonely flower that blooms, sometimes unexpected ideas lead the way to the next one. Model: Kollene Snow Makeup: Kollene Snow Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait

I am no bird | salt lake city utah conceptual portrait photographer

Model: Jesyka Dereta Makeup & Styling: Jesyka Dereta Wardrobe, Prop & Calligraphy: Wendy Hurst Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait Sometimes when I don't know something, like what to call an image or series, I identify what it's not. Doing so lends inspiration and  actually yields titles that resonate with me most often.  For this reason a quote from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte recently stuck in my mind. "I am no bird; no net ensnares me." I also remembered a behind the scenes YouTube video by fashion photographer Joan Allen that I found by accident years ago of a shoot using calligraphy on the skin to add a dimension of edgy elegance. Combine that with a kick I've been on about oversized objects and I knew what I wanted to do.  Months ago I draped my dress form, Maggie, with yards of purple cloth I picked up secondhand for a different photo shoot. The shoot turned out okay but didn't fully captured the potential I saw in that &quo