Skip to main content

The Renaissance Faire Affair (Utah Renaissance Faire 2019) | Utah Portrait Photographer Studio on Location


I'm not a stranger to shooting outdoors.

Counterpoint: Using a backdrop outdoors is definitely strange to me.

But if we never got to know strangers, we'd never make new friends.

VIEW THE WHOLE GALLERY


The Utah Renaissance Faire is a plentiful measure of meager extravagance, an opportunity to escape modern everyday life and appreciate times long past through costume, music and dance. The scent of mutton floats through the air, disturbed only by the swirling of juggling batons and the spinning of aerialists on fine silks. Children laugh, boots scuffle, and ribbons whirl. For a photographer the event is a goldmine of colorful fantasy. For a photographer with a backdrop, though, it poses some obstacles.


Shooting indoors eliminates many foes of a photo studio. Wind, rain, direct sunshine, distraction. Outdoors anything can happen. I wanted my studio to fulfill three simple goals:

1) Small enough to fit and relatively blend into a crowd, and
2) 100% mobile on a whim, and
3) Capture photographs that the average person can't take.

I didn't invent this studio type, but I do have big plans for how to make it tell the kinds of stories I want to tell. I had the tools, now I just needed the practice.


OBSTACLE 1: Parkinson's Law
Not to be confused with Parkinson's Disease, Parkinson's LAW is the principle that states that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". I've been dreaming of putting together a mobile portrait studio for years but never felt comfortable enough to actually do it. Practicing in controlled conditions wasn't enough. I needed something interesting, compelling, and fun. (Why do something easy or hard if it's not going to be at least a little fun?) The timing also couldn't be so close I couldn't prepare, but not so far as to let Mr. Parkinson interfere with my headspace. The Faire checked all the boxes.

SOLUTION: Live your best life. 

OBSTACLE 2: Light & Wind
After a quick phone call with the organizer, I learned the weather is usually warm and sunny with a nice measure of wind. I winced. Direct light is a fickle, but manageable, foe. Wind with a backdrop and off-camera flash in an umbrella is like Mary Poppins wrapped in a sail.

I'm a seamstress so I can't help but think of backdrops in terms of fabrics first. I fished out a few different fabric types from my stash, coughed from the plumes of dust and ventured to the backyard to take them for a spin.

Polyester: Super lightweight but also sheer and no stiffness. It billowed beautifully but wasn't the look I was going for. Failed.

Linen: Too heavy and too thin. Ironically it was heavier but also still sheer; sun speckles are the enemy and it wouldn't dump the wind. Failed.

Cotton: I tested a bedsheet and it was a great size but way too lightweight. Failed.

SOLUTION: Polyester spandex, an assistant and, well, a sail. SUCCESS.

I used two wooden dowels, one at the top and one at the bottom, similar to how banners are designed, and mounted them to a light stand with a boom and clamp. As long as my assistant held the backdrop upright above and kept her foot on the bottom dowel, the wind mostly ignored the fabric. It's also machine washable and totally portable. How many backdrops can you say that about? (Answer: not many.)

OBSTACLE 3: Mobility
Photography equipment can be heavy. Backpack, tripod, light stands, umbrellas, backdrops, props. 25-50 pounds on average. Then carry it all on location. Level ground? A rolling case helps sometimes. Wait, no elevator to the second level? Enjoy three trips each way. But the stronger one becomes, the more equipment one can carry. Two years ago I started lifting weights for overall strength and health, but let's be double honest here; it was so I could carry the equipment I need anywhere I @#$% please.

"Why don't you just add wheels to the backdrop and light stands?" You asked that at just the right time! Because...grass. The green tufty stuff that grows in the ground and requires a lot of water to sustain in a desert. It also stains shoes and blocks wheels. I'd have to go natural on this one, and I couldn't do it alone.

SOLUTION: My assistant used the backdrop stand when we were in place for awhile, and would hold the boom up with her arm as we snapped a few portraits here and there around the grounds.

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
Maybe this sounds like the whole thing was written for photographers, I dunno, but this is really the part that photographers may find more interesting than the average reader.

LIGHTING: A single speed light in an umbrella soft box, and the sun. 

Speedlights in soft boxes can't overpower the sun. Not gonna happen. I solved this problem by using two things: an ND filter and shade. If there ever was an appearance of a second light source, it was the sun (usually placed behind my subject).

The rest involved making eye contact with strangers and asking if I could take their photograph. That sounds simple but it's also kind of scary at first. Like, what if they say no? The more people say no to you, the easier it is to see the result. In most cases, nothing happens. You move on. Fear isn't real, you guys. Face it and wonderful things can happen.

I'M GOING BACK NEXT YEAR.
I don't know how to say that in ye olde speak.






VIEW THE WHOLE GALLERY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Child Liberation Foundation Launch Party 2017

Some portrait highlights of the generous donors and contributors to the newly launched  Child Liberation Foundation , hosted at Sky SLC  over the weekend. Though attendees were supporting a serious issue, a healthy sense of humor was still present. Come join the conversation on Instagram or Facebook ! Paul Hutchinson (right) is the co-founder of the Child Liberation Foundation

The Lonely Flower, with Kollene Snow | Salt Lake Conceptual Portrait Photographer

Have you ever been stuck trying think of an idea, and then all of a sudden a tiny, fragile glimpse of something appears? In those moments I just want to grab it and hold on so it can't get away, but if you don't let it breathe, that poor little idea gets squished. I wanted this photo shoot with Kollene Snow to illustrate that idea. Like a lonely flower that blooms, sometimes unexpected ideas lead the way to the next one. Model: Kollene Snow Makeup: Kollene Snow Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait

I am no bird | salt lake city utah conceptual portrait photographer

Model: Jesyka Dereta Makeup & Styling: Jesyka Dereta Wardrobe, Prop & Calligraphy: Wendy Hurst Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait Sometimes when I don't know something, like what to call an image or series, I identify what it's not. Doing so lends inspiration and  actually yields titles that resonate with me most often.  For this reason a quote from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte recently stuck in my mind. "I am no bird; no net ensnares me." I also remembered a behind the scenes YouTube video by fashion photographer Joan Allen that I found by accident years ago of a shoot using calligraphy on the skin to add a dimension of edgy elegance. Combine that with a kick I've been on about oversized objects and I knew what I wanted to do.  Months ago I draped my dress form, Maggie, with yards of purple cloth I picked up secondhand for a different photo shoot. The shoot turned out okay but didn't fully captured the potential I saw in that &quo