Skip to main content

A Wayfinder New Year Celebration

Dylynn Beckstead, Danika Ott, Stephanie Crenshaw, Mikelle Pace, Taylor Anne Johnson (models)
Photo: Wendy Hurst // Production @hello_wayfinder
Wayfinder Photographer Collective is this thing I do on the side with friend and colleague Ashley Gardner. Once a month we bring together a group of models of varying experience and crowdfund our shoot by inviting other photographers to join. For our last shoot of 2018 we opted for a more casual meet-up rather than a proper styled shoot, where we decorated some casual spaces with everyday glamour instead of incorporating complex props and sets.

And by "casual" I mean CASUAL, like back rooms and spare office spaces and under stairways--wherever Eleve Event Center could graciously fit us. We're adaptable peeps.

Fun fact: tulle fabric--that netted fabric stuff--and electricity don't like each other.

Lighting the Scene
The group shots were all photographed with the other photographers in the room--a small office space with a cubicle of desks on the opposite wall. So instead of my usual softbox umbrella, I just popped a speed light on top of my camera and bounced it off the ceiling. I could move anywhere and the light came too.

The individual shots were photographed using a single light in a 43-inch soft box, usually pointed down at 45 degrees and positioned around 3 feet from the model. In most situations I also bounced a speed light off the ceiling to lift some shadows.

Happy New Year, you guys! I hope you have more adventures to choose from than ever before.



Taylor Ann Johnson @taylorjohnson_121, Model // Photo: Wendy Hurst // Production @hello_wayfinder


(Office space: the real deal. The right light can transform anywhere into a studio. #studioanywhere)
Danika Ott @ddtmm.dani, Model // Photo: Wendy Hurst // Production @hello_wayfinder

Dylan Beckstead @dylynn.beckstead, Model // Photo: Wendy Hurst // Production @hello_wayfinder


Mikelle Pace @mikell.pace, Model // Photo: Wendy Hurst // Production @hello_wayfinder


Stephanie Crenshaw @stephcren15, Model // Photo: Wendy Hurst // Production @hello_wayfinder
Dylynn Beckstead, Danika Ott, Stephanie Crenshaw, Mikelle Pace, Taylor Anne Johnson (models)
Photo: Wendy Hurst // Production @hello_wayfinder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Child Liberation Foundation Launch Party 2017

Some portrait highlights of the generous donors and contributors to the newly launched  Child Liberation Foundation , hosted at Sky SLC  over the weekend. Though attendees were supporting a serious issue, a healthy sense of humor was still present. Come join the conversation on Instagram or Facebook ! Paul Hutchinson (right) is the co-founder of the Child Liberation Foundation

The Lonely Flower, with Kollene Snow | Salt Lake Conceptual Portrait Photographer

Have you ever been stuck trying think of an idea, and then all of a sudden a tiny, fragile glimpse of something appears? In those moments I just want to grab it and hold on so it can't get away, but if you don't let it breathe, that poor little idea gets squished. I wanted this photo shoot with Kollene Snow to illustrate that idea. Like a lonely flower that blooms, sometimes unexpected ideas lead the way to the next one. Model: Kollene Snow Makeup: Kollene Snow Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait

I am no bird | salt lake city utah conceptual portrait photographer

Model: Jesyka Dereta Makeup & Styling: Jesyka Dereta Wardrobe, Prop & Calligraphy: Wendy Hurst Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait Sometimes when I don't know something, like what to call an image or series, I identify what it's not. Doing so lends inspiration and  actually yields titles that resonate with me most often.  For this reason a quote from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte recently stuck in my mind. "I am no bird; no net ensnares me." I also remembered a behind the scenes YouTube video by fashion photographer Joan Allen that I found by accident years ago of a shoot using calligraphy on the skin to add a dimension of edgy elegance. Combine that with a kick I've been on about oversized objects and I knew what I wanted to do.  Months ago I draped my dress form, Maggie, with yards of purple cloth I picked up secondhand for a different photo shoot. The shoot turned out okay but didn't fully captured the potential I saw in that &quo