Skip to main content

Behind the Scenes of a Fashion Bridal Session with Wendy Hurst Portrait

Models, Makeup & Hair: Cindy Perez Roberts, Nicolette Waites
Photography & Calligraphy: Wendy Hurst
Gowns Provided by JoCee Porter at Celebrate Everyday

Gowns Featured:
Anne (Cindy Perez Roberts, model)
Aria (Nicolette Waites, model)

For this shoot I partnered with JoCee Porter, owner and founder of a nonprofit in Utah organization called Celebrate Everyday, who collects donated dresses and rents them out for free to girls and women in need. Seriously. She acquires hundreds of used bridal and prom gowns every month donated by dress shops and local residents. The belief of her organization and mine are quite similar: every woman, everywhere, deserves to feel beautiful.

Calligraphy & Makeup Prep

In this case it was meant to be--and that's the theme of the shoot. Our original destination completely rained out and we relocated to Trolley Square Mall, my new favorite location that is designed better than a studio I could neither imagine nor afford. And it's free. But that's not the "meant to be" part. The reason this shoot felt meant to be is because Nicolette's (one of the models in this shoot) GPS incorrectly guided her to the wrong place via public transportation--which turned out to be only one station away from Trolley Square instead of across town. One can't plan coincidences like that...

Cindy Perez Roberts | Photo: Wendy Hurst
Poetry & Calligraphy
I actually used this concept a couple of years ago (Emily Dickinson's "I open every door...", and Charlotte Bronte's "I am no bird..." from Jane Eyre) but loved it so much that I found a way to use it again. I dug into an old vision board from that series, brushed up on my calligraphy skills and rounded up some small fake birds and a model ship I had on hand.

(Why a model ship? Because #nonsenseinspires.)

Originally the shoot was going to take place in a forested park and likely fit into a different ongoing series called Wandering Brides (part 1, part 2). Bringing the shoot inside completely transformed the aesthetic to a whole different level. Architectural depth, big sunny windows and brick flooring felt like a grand, romantic, luxurious hotel that complimented the gowns and our props at what I felt was a dream-like level.

There are two quotes written on each model, plus an extra word. If you can't quite make them out, these are them:

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul."- Emily Dickinson *

"Sometimes two ships are destined to meet." (A saying.)

And of course, "destiny". (My personal favorite scripting from the shoot.)

*Yes, if you can read cursive and have a keen eye, you probably noticed that I forgot a word on the model in the first quote. It's art, okay? Let's just go with it, lol.

Tech Specs
Calligraphy Prep
The stormy clouds blowing across the sun meant varying levels of light diffusion through the windows, which meant I had two choices: I could either try to balance the light from the window with off-camera flash--which I did bring--or expose for the white of the dress and let the window blow out. I chose the latter for a more organic, dramatic feel that I could see in real life. Most of the images at the window were shot using f/5.6 at 1/40s and ISO 125. The images in the stairwell were shot at 1/20s and brightened for more drama in Photoshop later. (Beginner's note: It's always better to underexpose than overexpose in these situations because you can always brighten things; you can't bring back details from overblown highlights.)

Does this session connect with you? Did it provoke an emotional response? Just another pretty picture? Come tell me on Facebook or Instagram! Visit my blog archives to see all the images from these sessions.

Cindy Perez Roberts, Model | Photo: Wendy Hurst
Cindy Perez Roberts, Model | Photo: Wendy Hurst

Nicolette Waite, Model | Photo: Wendy Hurst

Nicolette Waite, Model | Photo: Wendy Hurst


Nicolette Waite, Model | Photo: Wendy Hurst

Nicolette Waite, Model | Photo: Wendy Hurst

Nicolette Waite, Model | Photo: Wendy Hurst

Nicolette Waite, Model | Photo: Wendy Hurst

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Child Liberation Foundation Launch Party 2017

Some portrait highlights of the generous donors and contributors to the newly launched  Child Liberation Foundation , hosted at Sky SLC  over the weekend. Though attendees were supporting a serious issue, a healthy sense of humor was still present. Come join the conversation on Instagram or Facebook ! Paul Hutchinson (right) is the co-founder of the Child Liberation Foundation

The Lonely Flower, with Kollene Snow | Salt Lake Conceptual Portrait Photographer

Have you ever been stuck trying think of an idea, and then all of a sudden a tiny, fragile glimpse of something appears? In those moments I just want to grab it and hold on so it can't get away, but if you don't let it breathe, that poor little idea gets squished. I wanted this photo shoot with Kollene Snow to illustrate that idea. Like a lonely flower that blooms, sometimes unexpected ideas lead the way to the next one. Model: Kollene Snow Makeup: Kollene Snow Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait

I am no bird | salt lake city utah conceptual portrait photographer

Model: Jesyka Dereta Makeup & Styling: Jesyka Dereta Wardrobe, Prop & Calligraphy: Wendy Hurst Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait Sometimes when I don't know something, like what to call an image or series, I identify what it's not. Doing so lends inspiration and  actually yields titles that resonate with me most often.  For this reason a quote from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte recently stuck in my mind. "I am no bird; no net ensnares me." I also remembered a behind the scenes YouTube video by fashion photographer Joan Allen that I found by accident years ago of a shoot using calligraphy on the skin to add a dimension of edgy elegance. Combine that with a kick I've been on about oversized objects and I knew what I wanted to do.  Months ago I draped my dress form, Maggie, with yards of purple cloth I picked up secondhand for a different photo shoot. The shoot turned out okay but didn't fully captured the potential I saw in that &quo