Skip to main content

[Week 6/52] Stacking Apples | Choose Your Represent

"Stacking Apples"
Self Portrait

It was going to be a stack of teacups in front of a window. I don't experience personal conflict very often, so when it happens--like it did for my week 6 image--it's hard to know what to do. I designed an image, worked on it for a couple of hours and ended with a viable product. The only problem was...it didn't reflect what I want my style to be. It's a technically good image, creative a bit, and actually looks like I imagined it to look in the end. But as it came together and I saw the final image, I felt...nothing. No emotion, no satisfaction. I felt empty about it but I published it anyway. I wrote a blurb about the concept and the series to which it was going to belong and set it loose into cyberspace. Thirty minutes later I couldn't take the weight off my mind and took it down.

When I started taking photography seriously eight years ago I took images like everyone else around me because that's all I knew how to do. I designed and posted images that were aesthetically beautiful and yet meant nothing personal to me.

Those days are done. I choose to be only me.

So instead this is what I want the series to feel like. At least two more images to come!

Behind the Scenes
Having a new baby means shooting outside in the cold is out of the question, so I've had to get creative to...well, be creative. I keep my tripod, remote trigger and everything else in the empty spare room in the basement and shoot images of myself near the wall. Then I put it together with images of locations I find around town. This is actually the same field where I photographed Oblivion earlier this winter, just taken at a different time of day, and that's the same basket I used in week 5's image, Arrival. I still have that red fabric burning a hole in my brain for another day. :)

What will your mind see today?

facebook.com/wendyshootsit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Child Liberation Foundation Launch Party 2017

Some portrait highlights of the generous donors and contributors to the newly launched  Child Liberation Foundation , hosted at Sky SLC  over the weekend. Though attendees were supporting a serious issue, a healthy sense of humor was still present. Come join the conversation on Instagram or Facebook ! Paul Hutchinson (right) is the co-founder of the Child Liberation Foundation

The Lonely Flower, with Kollene Snow | Salt Lake Conceptual Portrait Photographer

Have you ever been stuck trying think of an idea, and then all of a sudden a tiny, fragile glimpse of something appears? In those moments I just want to grab it and hold on so it can't get away, but if you don't let it breathe, that poor little idea gets squished. I wanted this photo shoot with Kollene Snow to illustrate that idea. Like a lonely flower that blooms, sometimes unexpected ideas lead the way to the next one. Model: Kollene Snow Makeup: Kollene Snow Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait

I am no bird | salt lake city utah conceptual portrait photographer

Model: Jesyka Dereta Makeup & Styling: Jesyka Dereta Wardrobe, Prop & Calligraphy: Wendy Hurst Photography: Wendy Hurst Portrait Sometimes when I don't know something, like what to call an image or series, I identify what it's not. Doing so lends inspiration and  actually yields titles that resonate with me most often.  For this reason a quote from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte recently stuck in my mind. "I am no bird; no net ensnares me." I also remembered a behind the scenes YouTube video by fashion photographer Joan Allen that I found by accident years ago of a shoot using calligraphy on the skin to add a dimension of edgy elegance. Combine that with a kick I've been on about oversized objects and I knew what I wanted to do.  Months ago I draped my dress form, Maggie, with yards of purple cloth I picked up secondhand for a different photo shoot. The shoot turned out okay but didn't fully captured the potential I saw in that &quo